Something you want to get off your chest? Submit a Whinge ›


What if...

August 19 2019

A migrant got mangled working for a NZ company. So badly injured that s/he would no longer be able to work? Maybe medical assistance for the rest of hers/his life? I used to work for a cleaning company, hazardous chemicals (industrial oven cleaners) and no protective equipment was provided.
I ended up with chemical burns all over my arms and ill from the fumes but when I took a few sick days off, the manager/owner got very angry and threatened to fire me. I injured my arm working for a construction company which resulted in months of physiotherapy which wasn’t covered by ACC.
I also worked for a panel beater company, I got injured lifting something too heavy and the first thing the director/owner did was to call his buddy supervisor (he wasn’t even in sight) as a witness of the accident. When I got on ACC for a few weeks my promised promotion went straight to the bin as if it were never offered.
I want to know is what does the government do to assist if something extreme were to happen but they are not residents nor citizens?

LUV Immigration, HELP.

Please note that care must be taken with the wording of comments. Where possible, avoid negative references to specific businesses or individuals. The Lakes Weekly Bulletin reserves the right to edit or withhold comments. Comments may be reproduced in the printed edition of LWB.

Post your comment


  • Your Name Here

    Heavily edited but I’d still like to know from a immigration lawyer/adviser: what happens if a non-citizen non-resident gets mangled working for a NZ company?
    I mean health and safety is just for show - anyone from a more ‘advanced’ country can tell you that - and as a migrant if you don’t do what you’re told (sometimes risking your health) you’re fired. So... what’s the option, what does the government do about it..?

    Posted 20/08/2019 7:47am (12 months ago)